Monday, August 18, 2008

Confusion Ensues

The third panel here fills me with mirth because of so many ways you can interpret it. Well, two ways that I see, at least. The first way is that there's no Hulk... wait. Spider-Man has fought the Hulk before, in this strip. Never mind, then, this whole post is now ruined because of my on-again/off-again memory. I guess it just means that no one, anywhere, has any idea where Spider-Man was going with the Hulk comment.

TIL: Panel three, of course, and Spider-Man's frank admission that even he had no idea what he was talking about.

6 comments:

J Doe said...

It kind of looks like Spidey's holding JJ's leg up in the second panel, if you imagine that the blue part of his costume is the knee. It's even weirder when you consider that JJ was just being carried through the air with no sign of a landing at any time.

jvwalt said...

The "Hulk" thing is just a way to kill off another day of this strip. They spent WEEKS on the flu; Spidey and JJ might very well spend several days discussing this Hulk creature to no purpose.

I'm imagining Stan Lee, like a prisoner in a cell, putting a mark on the wall every time he "writes" a strip. He certainly treats the job like a particularly tedious form of punishment.

Bryce Baker said...

I really like the new things you're doing here, just wanted to say so. I keep hoping it wont take all week for this storyline to wrap up, even though I know there's no chance.

Tommy said...

Heh, on the Hulk comment, it could be a reference to how you can get a hug from the Hulk, but it's more likely to be a bearhug that crushes your ribs and internal organs.

Either way, it works for me.

Aaron T. said...

I took his joke to mean that a hug from the Hulk is similar to a reward from Jameson in that they're both extremely unlikely.

Anonymous said...

I think the Hulk comment is lost on JJJ because you know, one week the Hulk is a hero and the next week he's a villain, unlike Spider-Man who JJJ considers a villian 24/7 lol! Ah well, either way it works for me too.